Stock Update (NASDAQ:TKAI): Tokai Pharmaceuticals Inc Reports Third Quarter 2015 Financial Results
Tokai Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ:TKAI), a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing innovative therapies for prostate cancer and other hormonally driven diseases, today reported results for the quarter ended September 30, 2015.
“This was an important quarter of progress for Tokai,” said Jodie Morrison, President and Chief Executive Officer of Tokai. “Active screening of patients in our ARMOR3-SV pivotal trial is underway, and we expect to report top-line results by the end of 2016. In parallel, under the experienced leadership of Lisa Taylor, we are making substantial progress in shaping our go-to-market strategy and engaging with clinical leaders throughout the world who recognize the significant need for new treatment options for patients who are unresponsive to existing therapies.”
Recent highlights include:
- Pivotal ARMOR3-SV Trial Underway: During the quarter, Tokai began screening patients for participation in ARMOR3-SV, the company’s pivotal Phase 3 clinical trial of galeterone, the first Androgen Receptor Degrader in clinical testing. ARMOR3-SV, the first pivotal trial in prostate cancer employing a precision medicine approach for patient selection, is evaluating whether administration of galeterone results in a statistically significant increase in radiographic progression-free survival as compared to Xtandi®(enzalutamide) in 148 treatment-naïve metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC) patients whose prostate tumor cells express the androgen receptor splice variant-7 (AR-V7). AR-V7 is a truncated form of the androgen receptor that has been associated with non-response to commonly used oral therapies for mCRPC. The design of ARMOR3-SV is aligned with feedback obtained from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Medicines Agency, and top-line data for the trial are expected by the end of 2016.
- Expanded the Executive Team’s Commercial Expertise: Tokai continued to prepare its growing commercial organization for the anticipated launch of galeterone. Lisa Taylorjoined the company during the quarter as Senior Vice President, Commercial Development, a newly created role. Ms. Taylor brings over two decades of experience in biopharmaceutical marketing, and was a member of the launch team for Xtandi®(enzalutamide) at Medivation Inc.
- Cash and investments at September 30, 2015 were $73.1 million, compared to $105.3 million at December 31, 2014. Tokai believes that its existing cash and investments will be sufficient to enable the company to conduct ARMOR3-SV, fund the development of a companion diagnostic test for use with galeterone, conduct other clinical trials and nonclinical studies necessary to support the submission of an initial NDA to the FDA for galeterone, as well as to continue funding its operating expenses and capital expenditure requirements into the first half of 2017.
- Research and development expense was $8.5 million and $24.9 million for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2015, respectively, as compared to $2.8 million and $10.8 million for the corresponding periods in 2014. The increases in research and development expense in both periods were primarily attributable to start-up costs for the ARMOR3-SV clinical trial and the development of the AR-V7 clinical trial assay, and costs associated with other clinical trial and manufacturing activities to support the submission of a new drug application for galeterone.
- General and administrative expense was $3.4 million and $9.3 million for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2015, respectively, as compared to $3.6 million and$6.4 million for the corresponding periods in 2014. The increase in general and administrative expense for the nine month period primarily relates to increased headcount in general and administrative functions, increased legal and patent expenses and costs associated with operating as a public company since September 2014.
- Net loss was $11.9 million and $34.1 million for the three- and nine-month periods endedSeptember 30, 2015, respectively, as compared to $6.4 million and $17.1 million for the corresponding periods in 2014. (Original Source)
Shares of Tokai Pharmaceuticals closed yesterday at $11.99. TKAI has a 1-year high of $16.84 and a 1-year low of $9.38. The stock’s 50-day moving average is $11.29 and its 200-day moving average is $12.17.
Tokai Pharmaceuticals Inc is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing novel proprietary therapies for the treatment of prostate cancer and other hormonally-driven diseases.