Analysts weigh in on two of the most popular internet stocks, Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (NYSE:BABA) and Twitter Inc (NYSE:TWTR). While one analyst is Neutral on Twitter, the other remains bullish on Alibaba. Let’s take a closer look:
Alibaba Group Holding Ltd
Following a comprehensive study of the retail market, both online and offline, Jefferies analyst, Jessie Guo, weighed in on Alibaba.
The analyst believes that the online retail market is “far from a tipping point,” and expects to see 24% compound annual growth rate in 2015-2018e. According to the analyst, “This era is witnessing speedy application of new technology and vigorous cross sector M&A, facilitating e-Commerce penetration. First-mover advantage remains strong, leaving huge catch-up gaps for latecomers.”
The analyst explains that he favors BABA due to its expansion outside of the e-commerce playground. He believes the company has developed into a sophisticated new type of business in the cyber landscape.
Alibaba is a winner in both quality and differentiation, explains Guo. As such, the analyst resumes coverage on the stock with a Buy rating and a target price of $101.00.
According to TipRanks, 95% of analysts issue a Buy rating for BABA with the remaining 5% issuing a Hold rating for the stock. The consensus target price for shares of BABA is $101.18, marking a 19.75% upside from current prices.
Ahead of Twitter’s earnings report on July 26th, Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter weighed in on the stock.
According to the analyst, “Twitter remains ‘the place to go’ for live broadcast, but management appears complacent about the status quo and unfocused on the lack of user growth.” The analyst believes that, until Twitter is focused on attracting new customers, driving increased usage by its existing users, and demonstrating value to those who don’t use the service, the company itself will not grow much.
The analyst expects the company to report relatively healthy Q2 earnings driven by political ad spending and seasonality. This revenues upside will likely be eclipsed by limited user growth and could lead to a post-earnings sell off, according to Pachter.
The analyst reiterates a Neutral rating for the stock with a price target of $20.00.
Michael Pachter is ranked #3,367 of 4,077 analysts on TipRanks. He maintains a 50% success rate and realizes an average return of -1.4%.
The consensus target price for TWTR is $18.71, marking a 1.75% upside from current prices, according to TipRanks. Currently, 28% of analysts issue a Buy rating for TWTR, 59% maintain a Hold rating, and 13% uphold a Sell rating for the stock.