Analysts Reiterate Mixed Ratings on Facebook Inc (FB) and Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Ahead of Earnings and ‘Top Secret Master Plan’

Facebook Inc

In anticipation of Facebook Inc (NASDAQ:FB)’s earnings release, due after market close on July 27, William Blair analyst, Ralph Schackart, weighed in on the stock with a bullish stance.

The analyst expects Facebook’s advertising revenue results to be at least in-line with consensus estimates with the possibility of some modest upside. He explains that, last quarter, FB delivered a 3% upside on advertising revenues, leading the stock to be up 7% upon market close the next day.

Schackart notes that some investors had concerns heading into last quarter, mostly surrounding potential softness in the e-commerce vertical. FB’s growth has been predominantly driven by the company’s core app, which the analyst believes shows no signs of slowing.

Looking forward, the analyst sees tremendous potential for further growth and believes that categories, such as video, are at early stage inflection points. Schackart also affirms that Instagram could become an area of further spending for FB, as continued user growth and CPM improvements could lead to a 10% increase in 2016 and 2017 EBITDA estimates.

Schackart reiterates an Outperform rating for FB and believes shares have upside potential to reach $135 to $140 per share over the next 12 months

Ralph Schackart is ranked #608 of 4,055 analysts on TipRanks. The analyst has 56% success rate with an average return of 9.0%. When rating FB, the analyst has an average profit of 43%.

According to TipRanks, the consensus price target for FB is $146.69, marking a 24.39% from current prices. 95% of analysts currently rate FB as a Buy and the remaining 5% issue a Hold rating for the stock.

Tesla Motors Inc

Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA)’s CEO, Elon Musk, is expected to release a document he calls Tesla’s “Top Secret Masterplan,” later this week. Following speculation about Musk’s “Masterplan,” Morgan Stanley analyst, Adam Jonas, weighed in on the company’s stock.

The analyst believes that an on-demand mobility platform could be the missing link in Tesla’s operations. Jonas upholds, “In our opinion, a business model based on selling cars to private owners who achieve a time utilization of 4pct and an available seat-mile utilization of 1pct may not be sustainable. We believe all auto firms, including Tesla, must confront this strategic shift.” The analyst believes that Tesla’s unique advantage in machine learning and lack of exposure to legacy systems, such as the internal combustion engine, place Tesla in a prime position to begin penetrating larger and more rapidly growing markets.

The analyst goes further and explains that he modeled the potential upside for Tesla if the company expands into a mobility service powered by 5,000 vehicles by 2018. According to the analyst, “if Elon Musk’s announcement is related to Mobility, investors must consider a wide variety of factors.” These factors include:

  • Timing of the ramp
  • Who owns the fleet
  • How the fleet is financed
  • The level of automation of the driving algorithm
  • Whether any human operator is a Tesla employee or independent contractor
  • Pricing model and, perhaps most importantly and,
  • The initial location of the service.

Given these questions and looming concerns, the analyst reiterates an Equal-weight rating for TSLA with a price target of $245.00.

Adam Jonas is ranked #390 of 4,055 analysts on TipRanks and maintains a success rate of 47% with an average return of 9.8%. When rating TSLA, the analyst sustains a 44% success rate with an average profit of 21.7%.

According to TipRanks, the consensus price target for TSLA is $266.28, marking an 18.53% upside from current share prices. Currently, 40% of analysts issue a Buy rating for TSLA, another 40% maintain a Hold rating, and the remaining 20% uphold a Sell rating for the stock.


Stay Ahead of Everyone Else

Get The Latest Stock News Alerts