Arrowhead Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ:ARWR) announced that three presentations are being made on ARC-520, its investigational medicine for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B infection, at The International Liver Congress™ 2016 (ILC 2016), in Barcelona, Spain, April 13-17, 2016.
Collectively, these presentations demonstrate several important findings from Arrowhead’s clinical and nonclinical studies of ARC-520, including the following:
- ARC-520 and entecavir produced rapid HBV DNA suppression with all hepatitis B e-antigen (HBeAg) positive, treatment naïve patients achieving serum HBV DNA reductions of up to 5.5 log (99.9997%), and all HBeAg negative, treatment naïve patients achieving reductions that put them below the limit of quantitation
- ARC-520 effectively inhibited HBV cccDNA-derived mRNA with observed viral protein reduction in HBV patients of up to 2.0 log (99%) after a single dose
- Based on HBsAg epitope profile analysis, poster authors and Arrowhead collaborators had previously identified a predictive hepatitis B surface-antigen (HBsAg) Clearance Profile associated with HBsAg clearance in antiviral therapy cohorts
- There was a significant association between the development of an HBsAg Clearance Profile and ARC-520 therapy in HBV patients
- Complexed HBsAg antibodies (anti-HBs) were developed and detected in HBV patients treated with ARC-520, which may represent a recovery of the immune system response
- After monthly administration of 6-11 doses of ARC-520 in chimpanzees chronically infected with HBV, the ARC-520 target site sequences remained virtually unchanged, indicating that no drug resistance developed during the treatment period
Chris Anzalone, Ph.D., president and CEO of Arrowhead Pharmaceuticals, said: “These are exciting results that continue to show that ARC-520 can reduce the production of HBV viral proteins. We have ongoing multiple-dose and combination studies designed to assess if this will allow the body’s natural immune defenses to control the virus and lead to a functional cure.” (Original Source)
Shares of Arrowhead are up nearly 3% to $5.40 in pre-market trading. ARWR has a 1-year high of $9.36 and a 1-year low of $3.07. The stock’s 50-day moving average is $4.55 and its 200-day moving average is $4.99.
On the ratings front, Arrowhead has been the subject of a number of recent research reports. In a report issued on March 31, Jefferies Co. analyst Eun Yang reiterated a Hold rating on ARWR, with a price target of $4, which implies a downside of 24.0% from current levels. Separately, on February 10, Piper Jaffray’s Edward Tenthoff maintained a Buy rating on the stock and has a price target of $13.
According to TipRanks.com, which ranks over 7,500 financial analysts and bloggers to gauge the performance of their past recommendations, Eun Yang and Edward Tenthoff have a total average return of -4.3% and -5.6% respectively. Yang has a success rate of 53.7% and is ranked #3393 out of 3790 analysts, while Tenthoff has a success rate of 33.6% and is ranked #3520.
Arrowhead Pharmaceuticals, Inc. engages as a biopharmaceutical company developing targeted RNAi therapeutics. Its pipeline includes clinical programs in chronic hepatitis B virus and partner based programs in obesity and oncology. The company was founded by R. Bruce Stewart in 1989 and is headquartered in Pasadena, CA.