Cypress Semiconductor Corporation (NASDAQ:CY), a global leader in embedded systems solutions, today announced the availability of three new series of devices in its high-performance FM4 portfolio of Flexible Microcontrollers (MCUs) based on the ARM® Cortex®-M4 core. FM4 MCUs operate at frequencies up to 200 MHz and support a diverse set of on-chip peripherals for motor control, factory automation and home appliance applications. The portfolio delivers low-latency, reliable, machine-to-machine (M2M) communication required for Industry 4.0—the fourth industrial revolution, using network-computing technologies to advance design and manufacturing.
The FM4 family joins Cypress’s Traveo™ MCUs for automotive applications and PSoC® programmable system-on-chip solutions to expand the company’s ARM-based embedded processing portfolio.
The superior performance of the FM4 MCUs portfolio is demonstrated by their high CoreMark® scores. CoreMark, which was developed by theEmbedded Microprocessor Benchmark Consortium (EEMBC®), benchmarks the performance of a processor core and its memory subsystem and enables quick comparisons between processors. The S6E2C-Series, now in full production, delivers a best-in-class 675 CoreMark score at 200 MHz, and the new S6E2G-Series and S6E2H-Series deliver leading CoreMark scores of 608 at 180 MHz and 540 at 160 MHz respectively. The portfolio delivers robust, reliable M2M communication with high-speed communication interfaces, including Controller Area Network with Flexible Data-Rates (CAN-FD) and IEEE 1588 Ethernet, and with hardware-based encryption accelerators. The FM4 MCUs include up to 2MB flash and 256KB SRAMmemory, along with integrated hardware-based features and standards-compliant firmware libraries that simplify functional safety compliance.
“Designing systems for Industry 4.0 and the Industrial Internet requires high-performance, ARM-based MCUs that enable support for international safety standards and deliver fast, secure and reliable communication interfaces,” said Sudhir Gopalswamy, vice president of the MCU Business Unit at Cypress. “Our FM4 MCU portfolio provides the performance needed for Industry 4.0 applications and the scalability to minimize development costs and accelerate time-to-market.”
The S6E2C-Series of FM4 devices offers up to a 200-MHz CPU, 2MB flash, 256KB SRAM, 190 GPIOs, 27 communication peripherals, 36 digital peripherals and 4 analog peripherals. The series is designed for high-end motor control and industrial applications. Designed for industrial automation and metering applications, the S6E2G-Series of FM4 devices offers up to a 180-MHz CPU, 1MB flash, 192KB SRAM, 153 GPIOs, 20 communication peripherals, 33 digital peripherals and 3 analog peripherals. The S6E2H-Series of FM4 devices provides up to 160-MHz CPU, 512KB flash, 64KB SRAM, 100 GPIOs, 12 communication peripherals, 27 digital peripherals and 4 analog peripherals. The S6E2H-Series is designed for motor control and home appliance applications.
Key Features and Benefits of the Cypress FM4 MCU Portfolio
The Cypress FM4 MCU portfolio delivers leading performance with:
- An architecture optimized for fast data processing with a 16KB flash accelerator, which allows zero-wait-state execution
- A flash access speed of 72 MHz, higher than any other Cortex-M4 MCU
- A descriptor system transfer controller (DSTC), an additional direct memory access (DMA) controller, that supports data transfers between peripherals and memory with up to 1,024 channels
- Two independent flash banks that enable simultaneous program execution from one bank while programming the other bank.
The portfolio enables functional safety solutions with:
- Hardware-based features like Error-Correcting Code (ECC) support for flash and SRAM memories and a memory protection unit
- International safety standards-compliant firmware libraries to implement functional safety algorithms
- 5-V I/Os that improve noise immunity for industrial systems.
The portfolio supports the following interfaces:
- IEEE 1588 Ethernet – for high-speed bulk data transfers
- CAN and CAN-FD – for industrial time-critical networks
- External Bus Interface – used to connect NOR flash, NAND flash, SDRAM and SRAM memories
- High-Speed Quad SPI and HyperBus™ – high-bandwidth, low-pin-count interfaces that enable faster data transactions
- Secure Digital Input Output (SDIO) – for high-speed Wi-Fi chipsets and portable devices
- Full-speed USB – both host and device modes supported
- Integrated Interchip Sound (I2S) – the standard interface for digital audio
- General purpose serial interface – a combination of up to 16 channels of UART, SPI, I2C or LIN communication interfaces; the user determines the function assigned to each channel. (Original Source)
Shares of Cypress Semiconductor closed yesterday at $9.85. CY has a 1-year high of $16.25 and a 1-year low of $8.11. The stock’s 50-day moving average is $9.76 and its 200-day moving average is $10.94.
On the ratings front, Cypress Semiconductor has been the subject of a number of recent research reports. In a report issued on November 12, Mizuho analyst Vijay Rakesh maintained a Buy rating on CY, with a price target of $18, which represents a potential upside of 82.7% from where the stock is currently trading. Separately, on October 23, Needham’s Rajvindra Gill reiterated a Buy rating on the stock and has a price target of $12.
According to TipRanks.com, which ranks over 7,500 financial analysts and bloggers to gauge the performance of their past recommendations, Vijay Rakesh and Rajvindra Gill have a total average return of 29.1% and 16.8% respectively. Rakesh has a success rate of 67.2% and is ranked #11 out of 3849 analysts, while Gill has a success rate of 58.6% and is ranked #42.
Overall, 5 research analysts have given a Buy rating to the stock. When considering if perhaps the stock is under or overvalued, the average price target is $14.75 which is 49.7% above where the stock closed yesterday.
Cypress Semiconductor Corp with its subsidiaries, designs, develops, manufactures and markets high-performance, mixed-signal, programmable solutions that provide customers with rapid time-to-market and system value.